Here is an exercise that may help to consciously and intentionally love generously.
1) Prepare – Find a comfortable room and chair to sit. Darken the room to represent your interior soul and depths of your heart. Light a candle to remind you that it is only God who can illuminate the path out of darkness.
2) Release – Begin by taking deep breaths. With each breath let go of everything that prevents you from being free, open and present to the moment. Still your mind, calm your soul and connect with your heart. Arrive inside your body, your mind and your soul. Know that God has been waiting in the dark desiring to take your woundedness and pain and replace it with healing and joy. Let go so you can be free to receive.
3) Arrive – You are now “here” and it may feel like you are “nowhere.” It may feel uncomfortable to being before God, naked, vulnerable and trusting. Take an inventory of your thoughts and feelings. What is stirring within? What are you ruminating over in your mind? What has been the longing of your heart?
4) Encounter – Greet your God as you would a lover. Notice what part of the Trinity you encounter (the Father, the Son or the Holy Spirit). Don’t rush this. Feel God’s warm embrace, see God’s longing for you in his eyes, and hear him whisper, “I love you as you are.” Receive God completely and don’t let go. Let God’s healing touch, compassionate heart and pure desire for you penetrate your being. Surrender completely and fall into his arms. You are safe and you are loved. Rest here as long as you can. Relish and cherish this moment. It is real. Don’t be afraid of true LOVE. Welcome it. Let his light illuminate and heal your wound completely. He is the Divine Physician who heals with love and gentleness. You are his and he is delighted in you.
5) Delight – Delight in the experience and give thanks to God. You are now filled with his Love and have something real to offer others. As you express your gratitude, slowly begin to come back. Use your breath and become present to your body. Continue to be grateful and feel a smile form on your face as you do this. Know you can always return to this safe place where God is always waiting for you.